« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »
LONGMANS' SCHOOL GRAMMAR. Part I., Parts
of Speech; Part II., Classification and Inflexion ; Part III.,
With Notes for Teachers and Index. 272 pages. 12mo.
LONGMANS' JUNIOR SCHOOL GRAMMAR. Fcp.
8yo, 128 pp.
LONGMANS' JUNIOR SCHOOL COMPOSITION.
Fcp. 8vo. ..
in the Synthesis of Simple Sentences ; Sentences combined ;
(6) Skeletons of Stories to be reproduced.
(c) Stories in verse to be written in prose.
LONGMANS' SCHOOL COMPOSITION. Crown 8vo. 80 cents.
SIR ROGER DE COVERLEY: Essays from the
Spectator.' With Notes and Tlustrations. Crown 8vo.
New York: LONGMANS, GREEN, & CO.
1. The sentence • Mary writes' consists of two parts :(1) The name of the person of whom we are speaking, ---Mary
and (2) What we say about Mary, --writes. 2. Similarly the sentence Fire burns' consists of two parts :
(1) The name of the thing of which we are speaking,-fire.
(2) What we say about fire,—burns. 3. Every sentence has two such parts.
4. The name of the person or thing spoken about is called the Subject.
5. What is said about the Subject is called the Predicate.
Pick out the Subjects and the Predicates.
William sings. Birds fly. Sheep bleat. Henry is reading. Rain is falling. Rain has fallen. Stars are shining. Stars were shining. Cattle
See ‘Notes for Teachers,' Note 1.