Page images

years the duties of this responsible position, he was accepted as a probationer for the higher office of the ministry, and stationed at Bridport, Dorsetsbire. Among other Circuits, he afterwards laboured at Teignmouth, Okehampton, Cardiff, Liskeard, St. Austell, Wednesbury, Carnarvon, Abergavenny, Stroud, and Pembroke. His ministrations of the word were not unfrequently owned of God, his labours being blessed to the good of many who will be bis “crown of rejoicing in the day of the Lord Jesus.”

In August, 1840, Mr. Osborn was united in marriage to Miss Barrett, of Polperro, in Cornwall, a pious and devoted lady, who proved herself to be a true help for him whose life of Christian usefulness she had now undertaken to share. Like her husband, she had stood alone in her family in the profession of religion, and for a time had suffered persecution on this account; but her holy example was eventually blessed to the lasting benefit of both her parents. The union into which Mr. Osborn had now entered, and which seemed to promise so much happiness, was but of short duration. Mrs. Osborn's health soon gave way, and in less than three years she was called to her beavenly home. Trusting in Christ alone, she died in peace and joyful hope, leaving an infant son. This unexpected bereavement was a painful trial, but Mr. Osborn bore it with Christian resignation, and found consolation in the diligent discharge of his ministerial duties. In the afflictive circumstances by which he was now surrounded, his piety was brought out into ampler development, and shone more brightly. A paper which he has left behind him expresses the state of his mind at this time. “It is now many years since I gave my heart to God. He has preserved me to the present moment, and I still find His service to be my chief delight. My desire is now more fully than ever to live to Him."

Mr. Osborn was subsequently united to Miss Penrose, of Truro. This estimable lady had joined the Methodist Society when quite young, and shortly afterwards gave proof of the depth of her piety by relinquishing a flattering prospect of worldly comfort, as soon as she found it could only be realized at the risk of losing her religion. Her marriage with Mr. Osborn was not allowed to interrupt her zealous efforts to do good ; but, on the contrary, she continued to enter every open door of usefulness. She was soon, however, called to suffer, as well as to do, the will of God. For two years she was confined to her bed; during which time she often passed through severe bodily pain. The disease under wbich she laboured affected, in some degree, her mental powers, and sorely depressed her; so much so, that her former confidence and joy seemed to forsake her, and she was often the subject of gloomy and painful thoughts. For seven months, however, before her departure, this distressing effect of bodily disease was graciously

removed. Her joy abounded, and her release was marked by holy triumph. After enduring the fatigue, anxiety, and sorrow which were occasioned by this painful afiliction, together with the loss of two beloved children, Mr. Osborn's own health gave way, and he was obliged to retire for four years from the regular work of the ministry, living for a time in Piymouth, and afterwards in the neighbourhood of Bristol. In 1854, he was so far restored as to be able to undertake again the work of a Circuit. Two years after this Mr. Osborn was united in marriage to one who now mourns his loss, the widow of the late Rev. Thomas Rogerson.

In 1862, while in the Pembroke Circuit, he was attacked with bron. chitis, and compelled, under the advice of his physician, again to give up his beloved work, and retire for a year to Tenby. This step was not only painful to himself, but called forth the regret of the Society in Pembroke, whose office-bearers presented him, on this occasion, with an affecting assurance of their appreciation of his labours, as well as of their sympathy with him and Mrs. Osborn, under their affliction.

During Mr. Osborn's three years' residence in the Stroud Circuit from 1858 to 1861, there had sprung up between him and the Methodists at Bisley (a village near Stroud) a strong mutual attachment; and he now (1861) acceded to their invitation to reside amongst them, while unable to take the full work of a Circuit. Here, whenever the state of his health permitted, he engaged in the Lord's work, preaching occasionally, visiting the sick, and watching over the little Society. His labours were highly prized, and their continuance looked forward to with much satisfaction. But these expectations were soon to be cut off. Mr. Osborn's weakened constitution gave way still more before the rigours of the winter; and in the spring sol. lowing, the alarming symptoms of the disease under which he suffered, instead of being alleviated, were increased. As a last resort, he resolved, in accordance with medical advice, to try the effects of his native air. He was from home several weeks, but did not experience that improvement in his health which his friends, and especially his devoted wife, had hoped for. On the contrary, he gradually sank; and when he returned to Bisley, it was almost in a dying state. His sufferings were at times very great, but his faith remained unshaken. He often said, “I would kiss the rod, and bow to the will of my heavenly Father.” He did not possess that ecstatic joy which is the lot of some Christians, but he had “peace in believing.” The night before his departure he said, “ I cannot doubt: I have settled peace.” He was favoured, moreover, with enlarged and most comforting views of the love of Christ. It is somewhat singular that the last sermon which he composed was one on the heavenly state. This he had hoped shortly to be able to preach; and little did he think that, instead of describing, he would realize the glories of the better world. But so


[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

it was. As if he had some apprehensions of his approaching death, on the night before it took place he feelingly quoted the lines,

“Meet, through consecrated pain,

To see the Face Divine.”

Surrounded by a few Christian friends he fell asleep in Jesus, June 11th, 1565.

A neat marble tallet, erected by voluntary subscription, in the beautiful little chapel at Bisley, commemorates his honoured life and labours, whilst his body lies interred in the adjoining ground.

As a preacher, Mr. Ozborn was plain, practical, evangelical, and useful. His sermons abounded in Scripture, and he proved himself to be "a workman needing not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” His labours in the pulpit, moreover, were enhanced by his diligence as a pastor: he visited the sick and infirm, gave counsel to those who stood in need of it, and did not hesitate faithfully to rebuke the erring and lukewarm. His steadfastness couid pot fail to be observed; he shrank from no duties however difficult, but attended to all with a scrupulous conscientiousDEEB. Neither the most inclement weather, nor severe bodily weakness, was sufficient to deter him from the fulfilment of his ministerial appointments. When made the Superintendent of a Circuit, he discharged the duties of that office with prudence and fidelity. It is no common acquirement to be able to maintain discipline with wisdom and kindness. But to this he aspired, and it is not too much to say that he succeeded.

But it was as an earnest, happy Christian, that the subject of this memoir will perhaps be best remembered. Those who had opportunities of closely observing his life were impressed with his sterling piety. One who knew him well says, “ He was pre-eminently a good man. I am persuaded that his personal devotion to God was more than ordinary. I cannot but think of him as an example of the believers in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.'” “It was not necessary," writes a friend, “to know him very long, or very intimately, in order to perceive that he was an earnest and devoted man of God.” “I never met,” says another, “ with a more boly, devout, and spiritually-minded man. He seemed to einbody in his character every trait that should adorn a true minister of Jesus Christ. Godly and edifying in his conversation, gentle in disposition, tender and compassionate to the aged, and affable to the young, it was manifest that he ever aimed at promoting the comfort and spiritual improvement of all who came in his way." While Mr. Osborn's life and manner impressed one with the depth of his piety, they were rendered attractive by his habitual cheerfulness; there was nothing morose or forbidding about his

religion. Now that he has passed to a higher and a more glorious state, the fruit of his godly life on earth remains. Doubtless, the good seed sown by him is still living and growing in many a heart, to the glory of God, and to the enhancement of his own eternal reward. He "rests from his labours, and his works do follow him.”

H. A. B.





Mrs. EDMAN, whose maiden name was Louisa Clarke, was born at Wragby, in Lincolnshire, September 14th, 1829. It was her privi. lege to be blessed with a godly ancestry. Her great-grandfather was one of the earlier converts of Mr. Wesley; and often suffered severely from enraged mobs, when following him from place to place to hear the message of eternal life from his lips. Her grandfather had the honour to receive Mr. Wesley under his roof; and, on one of his visits, that eminent man invoked a blessing on the head of her father, when young. In infancy Louisa was dedicated to God, in an especial manner, by her parents. From earliest childhood she pos

. sessed great sweetness of disposition, and gentleness of manner, together with remarkable sensitiveness and refinement of feeling. She always had the fear of God before her eyes, and was happily preserved from outward sin ; but it was not until the year 1850 that she made a full surrender of her heart to God. The account of her conversion will be best given in her own words, contained in a letter to a friend who had taken a deep interest in her spiritual welfare. After describing her state of mind, she writes :-"Your kind letter, and the little book accompanying it, I have read repeatedly and prayerfully. I have received much encouragement from them, and have been enabled to believe on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sin of the world.' I now approach God with confidence, calling Him, 'My Father.' On embracing the Saviour, I felt that a load was removed froin my heart, that my God was reconciled, and that I had entered upon a new life. For a time all was happiness and peace; the dark cloud of God's displeasure bad vanished; I dwelt in the light of His countenance, and was supremely happy. But, alas! soon I felt a change, fearing that I had deceived myself—that this was a delusion. I love God; but I want to love Him more, to know no other will but His, to dwell in the 'cleft of the Rock,' to abide under the shadow of His wing.' When I think of His great cor.descension


[ocr errors]


and love, in allowing me to come unto Him, and call Himmy Father and Friend,' I am lost in wonder, love, and praise."

On April 20th of that year, she wrote:—“I now much regret that I did not seek the pearl of great price’ long ago. I can cast my care upon One who is "mighty to save,' and who has promised never to leave or forsake those who trust in Him."

As soon as she herself was made a partaker of God's favour, she became anxious that others should enjoy the same blessing. To promote this object she commenced distributing tracts in her native place. This, to her retiring spirit, required an effort which nothing but a sense of duty would have prevailed upon her to make. Her appearance at the homes of the people was ever welcome ; for she had a kind word for all, and deeply sympathized with those who were in any trouble. Being naturally of a delicate constitution, she was not able to do so much for the cause of God as some others; but, as far as her strength would allow, she was ready for every good work.

The house of her father was the home of the Wesleyan ministers who visited Wragby, and from a child she hailed their coming with pleasure. Often did she refer to the good she received through the visits of the late Rev. Dr. Newton. Her hand was solicited, after her conversion, by a minister devoted to the honourable toil of foreign missionary service. The acceptance of this offer necessarily involved a long and wide separation from parents, sisters, and friends, endeared by a thousand ties; and an exposure to the privations, and frequent changes, incident to a missionary life. The pleadings in her own mind on both sides were strong; and the conflict was severe and painful. Ultimately, the engagement was formed; and, on September 18th, 1855, she was united in marriage to the Rev. A. Edman, who had been again appointed to a Mission station in the West Indies. A passing allusion only may be allowed to the grief necessarily occasioned by her separation from her beloved parents. It had been her life-long study to minister to their comfort ; but, though they loved her tenderly, a regard to the obligations resulting from her early dedication to God in baptism, and a consideration of the high and holy service in which she was about to be engaged, enabled them to make the sacrifice.

On October 17th, 1855, Mr. and Mrs. Edman, with other missionaries, embarked at Southampton for Jamaica. After a favourable voyage, they landed at Kingston, where they met with great kindness from the Mission families, and other friends. After a short time, they proceeded to their own Circuit, Grateful-Hill; but, as there had been Do missionary resident there for a year, they found everything at the Mission-house in a dilapidated and desolate condition. In writing to her friends, she said :-“When I contrast my present isolated home with the one I have left, where I had every comfort and

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »