Page images

by scores.

I could in my shoes. Finally, carrying them off on their heads arming myself with a singlebarrel pistol, I slipped into a hide go-down and told the servant to lock me in, the prevailing notion in my mind being, that after the sepoys had looted and burnt down the house they would quit, leaving the unclean hides and tallow, with which the go-down was stored, untouched. I could then creep out under cover of the night, and escape to the fort, two miles off. Through the chinks of the door I kept watch, and could see the sepoys looting the house, while swarms of villagers hung about to complete the plunder of what they left. Our poor dogs were shot as soon as seen. Their piteous howls and the noise and scrambling outside for the moment unnerved me, and I earnestly prayed that I might be delivered from the hand of these merciless fiends. The gratitude which I felt in having been mercifully concealed was indescribable. The sepoys, as I had anticipated, took their departure, and the mob now attempted to force the door. For safety, I quickly retired to the farthest end of the building and hid myself under the hides, where I lay for hours, patiently awaiting the advent of darkness in order to

attempt my escape. The heat in the close air of the go-down in the hottest month of the year, and the foul stench of the hides and tallow, were terrible beyond conception. Later in the afternoon the lock of the door was smashed by a gang of butchers and chamars who came to loot the hides, rushing in and

When night set in my opportunity presented itself, and I made up my mind to try and make my escape. Following the example of the looters, I took up a hide, and, covering myself with it, I passed out with the others, and gained the open undetected. The faithful old bearer had never left the vicinity of my hiding-place. The moment I emerged through the crowd he recognised me, and edging up to me, he led me by signs out of harm's way. I threw down the hide, which was picked up by a chamar servant, who was also in waiting with the bearer. He did this in order not to attract notice, and, taking the lead, he bade me follow him to his village, about a mile off, where he proposed to secrete me. On passing the gateway of Mr Maclean's large house we encountered a gang of villagers hastening to join in the loot. My white face betrayed me, and I was at once recognised as a "saheb." The men surrounded me, intending violence: seeing danger, I drew my pistol and threatened to shoot the first man who laid hands on me. The leader stepped forward and told me that that would be of no avail, as they were too many for me, but that if I quietly gave up what I had they would let me pass unmolested. They had taken it for granted that, being a saheb, I must have money and valuables on my person. I was able to converse with them in their own gawari (patois), and therefore in a

position to make terms. Having sworn them to let me go unharmed on giving up the pistol, I fired it off in the air, and handed it to the leader. The villain grabbed it, and the mob instantly seized me, hustling me roughly in search of money. Quick as thought I unloosed the band that held my rupees, and let them fall ringing to the ground, scattering in all directions. In the general scramble which ensued I was set free, and, slipping through the crowd, I hurried off with my guide, leaving the mob fighting for the plunder.

Arrived at the village which was our goal, my cicerone led me into a small mud hovel, where he bade me be seated on a charpoy. Throwing myself down upon it, I gasped for water, for I was consumed with a feverish thirst after thirteen hours' confinement in the godown, and the excitement and exertion of the past half hour had left me prostrate. In afteryears I have often marvelled how I was able to endure the fearful heat and suffocating stench of the hides and tallow. It was enough to break down a stronger man, and nearly drove me out of my senses. I can only attribute my surviving the ordeal to my youth and to the supernatural strength with which danger had nerved


Whilst resting in the hovel, I was alarmed to see a dense crowd approaching the village, and presently I noticed something being carried on a charpoy, which was deposited in front of my servant's house.

This proved to be a wounded chamar, the father of one of the gang who had been concerned in looting native Christians. Seeing me, the crowd turned on me with the cry, "Mar! mar! (kill! kill!) Ganna, my servant, terrified by the unexpected peril, drew me into the interior of the house, and closing the door, boldly stepped out to talk to the men who were clamouring for my blood. Contrary to my expectations, the crowd quieted down and dispersed.

Left in peace, I lay down to rest whilst Ganna's wife prepared me some dal and chapattis. How I enjoyed that simple meal! And how grateful I felt to my humble protector! My full heart was silently uplifted to God for His goodness and mercy. I can never forget the experiences of that memorable day. The excitement of the moment had made me quite forget the rupees I had secreted in my socks: these I now took out and made over to Ganna, thankful to be able in some measure to repay him for his kindly services.

The night passed in sleepless anxiety, my conscience smiting me for having disregarded the wishes of my brother. Morning dawned with a fresh crop of troubles. Ganna deemed it more prudent to remove me from the shelter of his house to an unfrequented ruin which had been used by the chamars in peaceful times for salting and curing hides. and curing hides. Here Ganna hid me, cautioning me to remain hidden during daylight. passed five most miserable days


in the burning heat and in patrons.
terrible suspense and anxiety,
until a letter reached me from
my brother, advising me to
make my way to the fort as
best I could under cover of the
night, before the rebels closed
the road.

That very day I arranged with Ganna to make the attempt. At night, disguised as a Pathan, and armed with a club, we started at nightfall. Our road lay through a perilous bazaar, which we threaded, however, in safety, till we reached the farther end of it. Here Ganna was recognised by some of his acquaintances, and invited to a friendly chillam (pipe). I must explain that although Ganna was a low-caste chamar, his musical talents had secured him the friendship of men of higher caste, with whom he had come in contact at wedding and convivial feasts, where his excellent drum- playing was frequently called into requisition. The present invitation was most reluctantly accepted, as it was impossible to refuse it without exciting suspicion and giving offence to his

I, like the rest, squatted on my haunches, selecting a dark side of the apartment, and smoked the chillam through the palm of my hands, imitating the others as best I could, and passing it on to my neighbour.

[ocr errors]

Time seemed to creep, and I could see that those nearest to me were becoming curious about the silent stranger. I was being closely scrutinised when one of the company asked the popular dholchi (drummer) who his companion was. "A young Pathan,' was the ready reply, "who had lost his way, and whom he was conducting to some of his relatives, who lived in a lane not far off." With this explanation, which apparently satisfied them, he rose to take leave of his friends, thankful that we had escaped detection; and hurrying on we reached the fort before daybreak. There I was met by my brother and friends, who pressed round me to offer me their congratulations on my escape. How grateful and overjoyed I was, I leave the reader to imagine.


The news of the outbreak est idea of the hopeless despair had reached the fort whilst it that seized upon the residents was still dark. It was the in the face of the awful blow memorable 18th of June, when that suddenly fell upon us. the thoughts of many were The sepoys on duty in the fort directed towards Delhi, in the still remained at their post hope that the recollection of when they were roused from Waterloo would inspire our their sleep and told the tragic troops before its walls. Alas news. They stood facing the for our expectations! It is sepoys in a blank despair, withimpossible to convey the faint- out arms or any means of escape

from the inevitable and imminent massacre. The men stood mute and resigned, surrounded by their wives and little ones, expecting every moment to be their last. By daylight Colonel Smith and his officers appeared on the scene, followed by a few faithful old native officers. The old colonel made desperate and heroic efforts to save the regiment, refusing to the last to believe that they would leave him. The men, however, were beyond human control, and raved for plunder. The old veterans, seeing that the life of their loved commander was in danger, partly by entreaty, partly by force, compelled him to retire and seek shelter in the fort. Worn out and broken down by the blow, the old man threw himself on a bench near the gateway and buried his face in his hands, heart-broken, his men standing about him sobbing.

The advent of the colonel was sufficient intimation to the detachment on guard of what had occurred outside. Fearful of losing their share of the loot and of the treasure, they quickly hurried off, leaving the Europeans in full possession of the fort. This was an unexpected turn of fortune. We at once formed up and closed the gate, barricaded it, and dragged a 24pounder howitzer, loaded with scrap, to guard the entrance. From a state of appalling despondency, all was now activity and action. The residents were mustered and told off under three separate commands, --all under Colonel Smith. The posts were defined, and we set

to work to strengthen the defences. The gun carriage works, which occupied the greater part of the space in the interior of the fort, were ransacked for arms and ammunition, and every conceivable thing that could be used as a weapon was brought out and ranged in readiness. Each man armed himself with as many muskets and lances as he desired, and three light brass field-guns, which were kept in store as patterns, were hauled up on the walls and placed in position. In the magazine were found several cases of ballcartridge and a few cases of blank. The latter were broken

up and used for the guns, while pieces of iron and scrap served for grape and round-shot.

Grain and food-supplies, meanwhile, were being laid in from the bazaar outside the fort, and a party with some scores of coolies were levelling the mechanics' bungalows and the outhouses under the walls outside. Inside, the guns, as has been said, were being placed in position, and half-wrought timber wheel-naves piled up to raise the breast works where they were too low to afford protection. The ladies were busy breaking up blank cartridges, and filling stockings for the gun ammunition, while the engineers and foremen of the works were cutting up thick bar iron in the smithy to serve as shot; bolts and nuts and scrap, filled in gummybags, supplied the place of grape. As there were only three field-guns that we could mount on the bastions, the un

important places were mounted with empty gun-carriages: a black shield hid their nakedness, and wooden muzzle-stops fixed to the centre of the shields sufficed to complete the deception, and, when the siege began, drew, as we hoped, the fire of the enemy's guns until demolished.

All this while the 41st, afraid to attack us, were nevertheless themselves making great preparations to carry the fort by storm. Our spies reported that fifty ladders for this purpose were being got ready, and we were warned that the fort would be assailed from fifty directions simultaneously.


Two days after my entry, the working party engaged in demolishing the bungalows and outhouses were dispersed by the sepoys before the work was completed; and early next morning, whilst it was still dark, the two field-guns abandoned by the 10th boomed out with round-shot. Every man was on the alert. Not a shot was returned, whilst the enemy's missiles passed snorting viciously over our heads. The word was passed round that we were not to fire until the enemy approached near enough to make our fire effective. In silence and anxiety we waited till daylight could reveal what we had to expect, feeling sure that that day would be our last; for it was impossible, with our garrison of thirty, to oppose the simultaneous attack of fifty ladders, with the enemy outnumbering us by 100 to 1. We sat grim and determined, like tigers at bay, in defence of our lives and those dear to us, watching at the embrasures. Presently guns ceased firing, and as the day dawned they opened fire again from another quarter.

We now began to distinguish the array of force against which we had to contend. The cavalry were drawn up to cover the roads on our right, and the skirmishers advanced, covering the whole ground in front, followed by innumerable groups with ladders, and, emboldened by our silence, the skirmishers advanced to within fifty yards of our muskets. The sharp crack of a rifle gave the signal to open fire, and each man went deliberately to work with scores of spare muskets at his elbow. The rapidity of our fire surprised the enemy. They could not understand who our allies could be. Was it possible that their spies had deceived them as to our numbers? Our bullets showered amongst them and quickly thinned their ranks. The ladder-bearers, who had made a bold push on approaching the walls, fell in numbers. The survivors wavered, dropped their burdens, and bolted out of range, disorganised and discomfited, their supporters in the rear with them, leaving the the entire field clear.

Our joy and elation at this unexpected result were great,

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »