Page images

David Mapleton having also taken possession of the 1813. mole-head, the convoy, 20 of which were laden with ‘o timber for the arsenal at Toulon, were brought out Alarge without any loss. ... Before leaving the place, the ovoy British blew up all the works; and the ships re-“ ceived no greater injury than a few shot in their hulls and some damaged rigging. It appears that captain Duncan had gained some very material information respecting the strength of D'Anzo by a gallant exploit performed a few nights previously by . lieutenant Travers; who, at the head of a single of boat's crew, stormed, carried, and destroyed, a tower o: mounting one gun, and brought off the guard as ” prisoners. On the 14th of October, at 1 P. M., the 36-gun Furifrigate Furieuse, running along the coast towards the ..., island of Ponza, observed, in the harbour of Mari- battenelo, situated about six miles to the eastward of . Civita-Vecchia, a convoy of 19 vessels, protected by melo. two gun-boats, a fort of two long 24-pounders, and a strong fortified tower and castle. It appearing practicable to cut them out, lieutenants Walter Croker and William Lester, and lieutenants of marines James Whylock and William Davis, gallantly volunteered to storm the fort on the land side, while the frigate anchored before it. This service was o executed ; and, after a few broadsides from the Furieuse, the battery was carried, and the guns spiked, by the party on shore. The french troops retreated to the strong position. of the castle and tower overlooking the harbour; †. whence they kept up a constant fire of musketry “”y through loopholes, without the possibility of being dislodged, although the Furieuse weighed and moved in, so that the whole fire of the ship was directed upon it. Nothing could damp the ardour of the arty on shore, who, together with lieutenant Lester in the boats, lost not a moment in boarding and cutting the cables of 16 vessels under a most galling

fire. Two of the vessels sank at the entrance of the

1813, harbour, but the remaining 14, deeply laden, were ‘No’ brought out. The loss to the British in performing this service, which was over in three hours, amounted to two men killed and 10 wounded. Boats On the 8th of November, at 8 h. 30 m. P. M., the ... boats of the 74-gun ship Revenge, captain sir John

§: Gore, under the orders of lieutenant William ... Richards, assisted by lieutenant Thomas Blakiston, so captain of marines John Spurin, and master's mates ... and midshipmen Thomas Quelch, William Rolfe, Henry Fisher, Benjamin Mainwaring, John Harwood, Valentine Munbee, George Fraser, Robert Maxwell, Charles M. D. Buchanan, and John P. Davey, were sent into the harbour of Palamos, to endeavour to cut out a french felucca privateer. At II P. M. lieutenant Richards and his party boarded and carried the privateer, without having a man hurt, and by l A. M. on the 9th had brought her alongside the Revenge. of . On the 9th captain Ussher sent, the boats of the into Undaunted, under the orders of lieutenant Joseph :... Robert Hownam, assisted by lieutenant Thomas loupe Hastings and lieutenant of marines Harry Hunt, ‘.... also the boats of the Guadeloupe brig, under lieu

from tenant George Hurst and Mr. Alexander Lewis the §. master, into Port-Nouvelle. The batteries were

velle, stormed and carried in the most gallant manner, and

two vessels captured and five destroyed, without a

casualty. * . On the 26th of November, off Cape Rousse, Świn island of Corsica, the boats of the british 74-gun ship ... Swiftsure, captain Edward. Stirling Dickson, under

j" the orders of lieutenant William Smith, the 4th, were

to detached in pursuit of the french privateer schooner arie

Magne, Charlemagne, of eight guns and 93 men, who was

using every exertion by sweeping to effect her

escape. On the approach of the boats, the privateer

made every preparation for resistance, and reserved her fire till the boats had opened theirs; when the schooner returned it in the most determined manner for some minutes, until the boats got close alongside. 1813; The British then boarded the Charlemagne on the bow and quarter and instantly carried her; but not without a serious loss, having had one midshipman or (Joseph Douglas) and four seamen killed, and two *. lieutenants (Rose Henry Fuller and John Harvey, the latter mortally,) one lieutenant of marines, (James Robert Thompson,) one midshipman, (– Field,) and 11 seamen wounded. On the 25th of November, 1812, the two new Art. french 40-gun frigates Aréthuse, commodore Pierre-o François-Henry-Etienne Bouvet, and Rubis, captain Robi, Louis-François Olivier, sailed from Nantes on, a . cruise. In January these two frigates, accompanied by on a portuguese prize-ship, the Serra, steered for the * coast of Africa, and on the 27th, when off Tamara, one of the Isles de Los, the Rubis, who was ahead, discovered and chased a brig, which was the british gun-brig Daring, lieutenant William R. Pascoe. The latter, when at a great distance, taking the Rubis for an english frigate, sent his master in a boat to board her. On approaching near, the boat discovered her mistake and endeavoured to make off, but was captured. The Daring was now aware of her perilous situation, and crowded sail for Tamara, followed by the Rubis; whom the lightness of the breeze delayed so much, that the brig succeeded in running on shore and her crew in setting her on fire. The two french frigates, at 6 P. M., "...” came to an anchor in the road of Isle de Los. Here de Los. captain Bouvet learnt, that Sierra-Leone was the rendezvous of two british frigates and several sloops of war; that one of the former had recently quitted the coast, and that the remaining frigate, reported to him as larger and stronger than either of his own, still lay at anchor in the river. - - In the course of six days, the french commodore Sail refitted his ships, and supplied them with water and ** rovisions for six months. Having also sent to ierra-Leone to exchange the few prisoners in his


1813, possession, consisting, besides the boat's crew of the J. Daring, of the master and crew of a merchantman he had taken, captain Bouvet, on the 4th, weighed and made sail with his two frigates. At 4 P. M. the Aréthuse, who was ahead, struck on a coral bank, but, forcing all sail, got off immediately, with no greater damage than the loss of her rudder. The two frigates then reanchored, but, driving in a gale of wind, were obliged, at 3 A. M. on the 5th, to get under sail; the Aréthuse contriving a temporary rudder while her own was repairing. ão At daylight, when the gale had abated, the Aré... thuse found herself lying becalmed within four * leagues north-east of the island of Tamara; and captain Bouvet was surprised to discover his consort still among the islands, covered with signals, which the distance precluded him from making out, but which were judged to be of melancholy presage. At 8 A. M. the Aréthuse anchored in 12 fathoms. At 11 A.M. the Rubis was observed to fire several guns, and at noon to have the signal flying, that the pumps were insufficient to free her. Captain Bouvet immediately sent his longboat with two pumps; but at 2 A.M. on the 6th the officer returned, with information that the Rubis had struck on the rocks, and that her crew were removing to the portuguese ship. At daylight, by which time she had repaired and re... shipped her rudder, the Aréthuse discovered a large ship to-windward. This was the british 38-gun frigate Amelia, captain the honourable Frederick Paul Irby, from Sierra-Leone. o, It was at 3 h. 30 m. P. M. on the 29th of January, ;" that lieutenant Pascoe and a part of his crew joined on the Amelia, then moored off Free-Town, Sierrao: Leone, bringing information, that he had left “three * french frigates” at anchor in Isle de Los road. The Amelia began immediately to bend sails and clear for action, and in the evening was joined by the Hawk merchant schooner, with some more of the Daring's men. . On the morning of the 30th the

[ocr errors][ocr errors]

Amelia's launch-carronade was put on board the 1813. Hawk, and lieutenant Pascoe, having volunteered, ‘To was despatched in her to reconnoitre the french ships. On the 2d of February, at noon, lieutenant Pascoe returned, with intelligence of the names of the two french frigates and their prize; and also of captain Bouvet's intention to proceed immediately to sea, to intercept the british homeward-bound trade. On the 3d, at 8 A. M., the cartel-cutter, Amelia noticed as , having been despatched by captain *::: Bouvet, arrived with prisoners, including, the crew oth of the Daring's boat; and at 10 h. 30 m. the Amelia;. with a debilitated crew, for whose recovery she was about to proceed to England, got under way, and made sail, against a west-south-west wind, for the Isles de Los, in the hope of falling in with some british cruiser that might render the match more equal, and prevent the two french frigates from molesting several merchant vessels that were daily expected at Sierra-Leone. On the 5th, at 8 A. M., the Amelia got a sight of DiscoIsle de Los; and at 8 P.M., when standing to the . north-east, and then distant three leagues west-nonorth-west of Tamara, she observed a strange sail .

in the north-east, or right ahead, making night. i.

signals. Supposing this vessel to be one of the french . frigates, the Amelia tacked to the westward, the prize. wind now blowing fresh from the north-west. On the 6th, at daylight, the Amelia again tacked to the north-east, and at 9 A. M. spoke the Princess-Charlotte government-schooner from Sierra-Leone, the vessel that had been making signals the preceding night. At 9 h. 30 m. A. M. the french ships were ob. served in the north-east, at anchor off the north end of Tamara; one, the Aréthuse, considerably to the northward of the other, who appeared to be unloading the prize, but was really removing into the latter her own crew. At 10 A. M. captain Irby despatched the Princess-Charlotte to Sierra-Leone, with directions for any british ship of war that might arrive there

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »