Page images

military certificates, secured upon land in Ohio, he visited the then Northwestern Territory, and preached the first sermon that was ever delivered in that region on the spot where Marietta now stands; prophetically announcing in his text the certain spreading of our holy religion in the vast country just then opening itself to the Christian settler. He preached from Luke i. 33: "And of his Tcinjdam there shall be no end." He was a man of strong nerve, morally and physically courageous, the friend of good order, virtue, and religion; so that he ever, during his long life, won the entire confidence and esteem of all, whether in the sacred ministry, or as a public servant in his country's cause, or as a private citizen. Mr. Breck was the father of the Hon. Daniel Breck, one of the Judges of the Supreme Court of Kentucky. - Nov. 11. — At Matanzas, in Cuba, Mrs. Maria Brooks, the author of "Zophiel and other Poems," aged about 50. She was born in Medford, Ms., and had resided for some time in Boston; but of late years her home had been at Matanzas. About fifteen years ago, she visited Europe, and formed friendships with many distinguished persons, among whom were Wordsworth and Sonthey. The publication of her poem of "Zophiel" was superintended by Mr. Southey, who pronounced her "the most impassioned and imaginative of all poetesses." Her literary attainments were very considerable, and her genius powerful and original; her imagination was exuberant even to excess, and her taste, perhaps, not sufficiently subdued and refined. With the few, the reputation of her poems will be very high; but they are not adapted to please the multitude.

Nov. 18. — In Cooper, Me., John Cooper, Esq., aged 80. Mr. Cooper was the son of the late William Cooper, so many years known as Town Clerk of Boston, and was the first Sheriff of the County of Washington, on its organization in 1790.

Dec. 27.—At Fryeburg, Me., Hon. Jndah Dana, a graduate t>f Dartmouth College, of the class of 1795, aged 73. He commenced the practice of the law in Fryeburg, when it constituted a part of the county of York. After the county of Oxford was set off from York and Cumberland, he was appointed county attorney, which office he held for six years. He was Judge of Probate for about twenty years, and of the Circuit Court of Common Pleas from the year 1811 until after the separation of Maine from Massachusetts, and a new organization of that Court. He was a member of the Convention for forming the Constitution of Maine, and one of the committee by whom it was drafted. He was also one of the executive council of the State in 1834, and a member of the United States Senate, by executive appointment, to fill a vacancy, in 1638. In all these offices he maintained a conscientious fidelity to the publie, while he discharged their duties with great ability.

Nov. 20. —In Princeton, N. J., Albert B. Dod, D. D., aged 40, Professor of Mathematics in the College of New Jersey. He was born in Mendham, N. J., and graduated at Princeton College in 1822. He studied theology in the Princeton Seminary, and in 1829 he was chosen Professor of Mathematics in the college, which station he continued to hold with distinguished ability till the time of his death. He was an accomplished writer, an eloquent preacher, and a skilful and successful teacher.

Dec. 10.—In Philadelphia, Pa., Commodore Jesse D. Elliott, of the U. S. Navy, aged 02. He was second in command under Perry in the naval victory on Lake Erie, and his conduct on that 'occasion was the subject of a controversy which lasted till his death.

Dec. 11.—At Freehold, N. J., Samud Forman, M. D., aged 81, an eminent physician, and for 40 years an Elder of the Presbyterian church at that place. Nov. 9. — In Danvers, Ms., Gen. Gideon Foster, aged 96. At the commencement of the Revolution, he was appointed captain of a company of the minute men in Danvers. On the day of the battle of Lexington, he was found at the head of his company, in conflict with the enemy at West Cambridge, where several of his men were killed. Afterwards he was in the battle at Bunker Hill. After this, he was one of the foremost of the many patriots of Danvers, in all their movements in support of liberty. He rose to the rank of Major General in Essex County, and was esteemed a superior officer. He served in various offices in the town, and for several years was a representative in the Legislature. In whatever he was engaged, he was ever distinguished for his fidelity and integrity.

Oct. 19. — In New York, N. Y, Mrs. Hannah Gough, widow of Joseph Gough, aged 109 years, 11 months, and 15 days. She was in full possession of her faculties up to the moment of her decease.

Nov. 16. — In Boston, Ms., Samue l Greenleaf, Esq., aged 77. His strict integrity and honor during a long life, mostly employed in mercantile transactions, commanded general respect. Kind and affectionate in his private relations, he left a deep impress upon many friends of his purity of heart, and his goodness of character.

Nov. — In Hingham, Ms., Mr. R&iben Hersey, a soldier of the Revolution, aged 88. He was one of the seven oldest men in Hingham, of whom three were older and three younger than himself, and all of whom bore arms in the Revolutionary war. Mr. H. was a lineal descendant, in the fourth generation, from William Hersey, who was born in England, and died in Hingham, March 22,1657— 8. His ancestors have been remarkable for longevity. His father died at the age of 82 — his grandfather, 84—and his greatgrandfather, 81.

Nov. 26. —In Corpus Christi, Texas, Lieut. Cd. W. Hoffman, of the U. S. Army. He learned the rudiments of his profession during the last war with Great Britain, and had always enjoyed a high reputation as an honorable, gallant, and efficient officer.

Oct. 13.—Dr. Douglass Ifoughton, State Geologist of Michigan, aged 36. Dr. Hough ton was born in Troy, N. Y., Sept. 21,1609. In 1828, he was selected from the county of Chautauque, in that State, to be educated at the Rensselaer Institute in his native place; and he received his degree of Bachelor of Arts from that Institution, October 29,1829. In 1830, he was appointed an assistant Professor in this Institute in the branches of Chemistry and Natural History. During the same year, at the application of several citizens of Detroit, he accepted an engagement to deliver a course of lectures there on scientific subjects. In 1S31, he was licensed to practise as Doctor of Medicine. During this year he was appointed Surgeon and Botanist to the expedition sent out by government to explore the sources of the Mississippi River, and made an able and valuable report upon the botany of the region through which he then passed. On his return, he settled in Detroit, and continued in the practice of his profession until early in 1837, when he was appointed State Geologist. From that time until his death he continued in the laborious pursuit of his duties, and accomplished a great deal towards developing the resources of the State, especially in drawing attention to its mineral wealth and the real extent of its advantages. He was drowned near the month of Eagle River on Lake Superior, in a violent snow-storm, on the night of October 13th, 1845, with two voyageurs who accompanied him. The loss sustained by the State of Michigan especially is a very heavy one. It is seldom that a man can be found as well qualified as Doctor Honghton for the peculiar duties entrusted to him. His mind.was keen and discriminating; and to an enthusiastic love of science he joined an unconquerable energy, and a spirit of patient and candid investigation, which seldom failed in accomplishing a certain result. In private life he was equally distinguished for generosity, affability, and firm integrity. Besides the stations already mentioned as having been filled by him, he was in 1842 elected Mayor of the city of Detroit. He was also, from the commencement of its existence, a Professor in the State University. He was a member of the National Institute, of the Boston Society of Natural History, and an honorary member of the Royal Antiquarian Society of Copenhagen, as well as of many other public literary and scientific associations in the United States and abroad. He was at the time of his death employed by the general government in prosecuting a combined geological and linear survey of the region near Lake Superior, on a plan first suggested by himself.

Nov. 14.—In Huntsville, Ala., William John Mastin, aged 37. He was horn in Frederick Co., Va., in 1S08, and graduated at Yale College in 1829. He was a merchant in extensive business in Huntsville, Ala., and a very useful and much-respected citizen.

Nov. 14. — In Belvidere, N. J., Hon. J. P. B. Maxwell, aged about 40, a member of Congress from New Jersey from 1837 to 1&39, and from 1841 to 1843. He was a graduate of Princeton College in 1823, studied law with Chief Justice Hornblower in Newark, and was admitted to the bar in 1827. < Dec. 18.—In Clark Co., Illinois, Samuel Me Clare, aged 97. He was born in Augusta Co., Va., May 16,1748. He was a soldier of the Revolution, a brave and a good man. Shortly after the close of the war, he removed with his family to Kentucky. On his way they were overtaken by a party of Indians, his wife taken prisoner, and his four children butchered. He made his escape, obtained help, overtook and severely punished the Indians, and secured his wife.

Nov. 2. — In Powhatan Co., Va., Thomas Miller, Esq., aged 65, the presiding Judge in the County court. He had been a magistrate in his county 44 years, and represented it in the General Assembly for many years, and throughout his life took an active interest in all that concerned his country, and especially Virginia, his native State. He was a professing Christian, and devout and consistent member of the Baptist church.

Oct. 1. — Near Milton, Del., Hon. Samud Paynter, formerly governor of Delaware.

Dec. 26. — In Baltimore, Md., Henry Payson, aged 84, one of the most distinguished merchants of that city. He was a native of Roxbury, Mass., and settled in Baltimore during the Revolutionary war, when the city had but about 7,000 inhabitants. He was one of the founders of its commercial prosperity, and his name was known almost as far as the city in which he lived. He saw many reverses of fortune, but went through them all with fortitude unshaken and integrity unstained.

Nov. 12. — In Gallatin, Tenn., Dr. Joseph H. Peyton, a member of Congress from 1843 to 1S45, and member elect of the 29th Congress. In the Senate of his own State, and in other public stations, he had acquired much political reputation, and was highly esteemed in private life.

Oct. 18.—At his family residence in Cabarrus Co., N. C., John Phifer, Esq., in the 67th year of his age. He was graduated in the University of N. Carolina in 1799, and was afterwards for many years a distinguished member of the Legislature of North Carolina, and a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian church.

Oct. 14. —In Bladen Co., N. C., William Pridgen, aged 123. He volunteered to serve his country in the Continental Army of the Revolution, and, though even then exempt by reason of his being over age, he served a full term in that war, and had received a pension for many years past. He lived to follow all his children to the grave, except one, an aged daughter. His grand-children are aged people, and he left great-grandchildren upwards of 40 years of age, and great-great grandchildren about 12 years of age. He , retained his faculties till his death, except his sight, which he lost a few years ago. He was able to walk until a few days before his death, when attacked by fever, of which he died.

Dec. 28.—In Stonington, Ct., Dr. William Robinson, aged 81, a soldier in the Revolutionary army. He practised with great success in that town for 07 years, and was much respected.

Oct. 24. — At Cumberland, R. I., William Rude, aged 97 years, 7 months. Mr. R. was in the battle of Bunker Hill, was beside CoL Davis when he fell, and was with the brave Barton at the taking of General Prescott, from Portsmouth, and was the last man to leave the island. He was at the battle of White Plain, in most of the engagements of the war, and yet never was wounded.

Oct. 13.—In Greene, Me., Nathaniel L. Sawyer, Esq., of Gardiner, Me., aged about 36, a graduate of Bowdoin College, and of the Law School in Harvard University, a young man of excellent talents and highly esteemed. Sept. 14. — In Vernon, Sussex Co., N. J., Joseph Sharp, aged 88. He was chosen a member of the State Legislature 50 years ago, and was continued in office by successive elections for fifteen sessions.

Nov. 7. — In Sharon, Ct., John Cotton Smith, Esq., President of the American Bible Society, aged 6O. He was born in 1765, and graduated at Yale College in 1783. In the year 1800 he was elected a Representative to Congress from the State of Connecticut, and took his seat at the first meeting of that body held at the city of Washington. He was of course a participant in the famous election for the Presidency between Jefferson and Burr. During the six years of his service in Congress, he was chairman of one of the most important and laborious committees, and maintained a commanding and influential position. In the year 1812 he was elected governor of Connecticut, succeeding in that office the distinguished and lamented Roger GriswoldThis was at the commencement of the late war with Great Britain, and the duties of the office were then exceedingly arduous and responsible. Upon his retirement from office in 1817, his services were acknowledged by a unanimous vote of thanks in both branches of the General Assembly. In addition to serving the State in the capacity of Representative in Congress and chief magistrate, he was also Speaker of the House of Representatives hi the State Legislature, Lieut. Governor, and Judge of the Superior Court.

Nov. — In Hatfield, Ms., Olicer Smith, Esq., a wealthy and respected citizen, leaving an estate worth half a million of dollars. Much of this is disposed of for charitable purposes. He has left $20,000 for the establishment of an Agricultural School in Northampton; $360,000 to eight towns, viz.: Northampton, Hadley, Amherst, Hatfield, Wiiliamslrarg, Deerfield, Greenfield, and Whately, as a permanent fund for the benefit of orphan children, and children of the poorer classes; and $10,000 to the Colonization Society. To eight towns he bequeathed a handsome legacy for the relief and support of poor widows.

Nov. 1.—In Washington, D. C., Samuel Harrison Smith, aged 73. He edited a newspaper, "The New World," in Philadelphia, in 1796; and when Washington became the seat of the National Government, he removed thither, and established "The National Intelligencer," which he continued to edit till 1810. After this period, he lived in private, except that in 1813 he was appointed Commissioner of the Revenue, which post he held till the office itself was abolished. He was an intimate friend of Jefferson, Madison, Munroe, and their associates; and in all the public and private relations of life he was highly respected.

Nov. 1.—At Intercourse, Lancaster Co., Pa., Andrew Snyder, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, aged 112 years.

Dec. 29.—At sea, off the coast of Africa, on board the U. S. ship Marion, of which he was purser, John C. Spencer, Jr., in the 23d year of his age, son of the Hon. John C. Spencer.

Dec.—In Cumberland, Md., Hon. Michael C. Sprigg. He was a representative in Congress, has repeatedly represented Allcghany county in the Legislature, had been formerly the president of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company, and had held other public responsible offices.

Oct. 26.—In Petersburg, Va., Rec. Andrew Syme, D. D., aged 91, the oldest citizen of the town and the oldest clergyman in the State. He was born in Lanarkshire, in Scotland, in September of the year 1754; between the year 1790 and 1800 he came to the town of Petersburg, where he resided till the day of his death. As a teacher, he was industrious and useful; as a pastor of the Protestant Episcopal Church, he was affectionate and kind; as a minister, he preached the "pure doctrines of the religion of Christ;" and as a citizen he was esteemed and beloved.

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »