Page images

slaves from Maryland, he was apprehended, tried, convicted, and sentenced to a long imprisonment in the State Prison. While undergoing this sentence, he died of consumption. His motives were unquestionably pure, humane, and noble; but his warmest admirers may well regret that his philanthropic zeal was not tempered with more discretion.

March 19. — At Newark, N. J., Elias Van Arsdale, LL. D., aged 75, one of the oldest and most eminent members of the bar of New Jersey, distinguished for integrity and ability in his profession. He had been thirty-three years president of the State Bank at Newark, which under his care has at all times possessed a distinguished credit.

March 7. — In Washington, D. C., Gen. John P. Van Ness, aged 76. Gen. Van Ness was one of the oldest and most respectable inhabitants of Washington. He was a native of New York, and was elected to Congress from that state during the first term of Mr. Jefferson's administration. He shortly afterwards married the only child of the late David Burns, Esq., one of the original proprietors of the land on which Washington was built; and having accepted from Mr. Jefferson a commission of major of the militia in the district, it was deemed that by so doing he had forfeited his right to his seat in the house of representatives. He then fixed his permanent residence in Washington, and contributed largely to the improvement of it. When the bank of the metropolis was established in 1814, he became the president thereof, and continued to hold this office to the time of his death. He filled the office of mayor of the city, to which office he was elected by his fellowcitizens; and he received many evidences of the estimation in which he was held by the several administrations of the general government . His loss will be sensibly felt by a large circle of acquaintances, and by the community in which he lived, as the large property which he received with his wife enabled him to extend an elegant hospitality to his acquaintances and to strangers visiting the city, and to patronize with great liberality all the public improvements and charitable and religious institutions in the city, without respect to sect or denomination.

Aug. 5.—In St. John's, New Brunswick, John Ward, Esq., "the Father of the City," aged 92. Mr. W. was born in Westchester County, in the then British province of New York. He entered the army in 1776 and was frequently in action. At the peace of 1763 he embarked with his regiment, the "Loyal Americnns," for this province, where the corps after a short time was disbanded. Mr. Ward then embarked in commercial pursuits, and at his death was the senior half-pay officer as well as the oldest merchant in New Brunswick. He has filled many public situations. For many years he represented the county of St. John in General Assembly, and for a long period commanded the militia. He lived an unblemished life, and carried with him the high esteem and profound respect of the community, to whom his noble and venerable appearance, his strict integrity, and amiable disposition, had long been familiar.

Aug. 8. — At Bergen Hill, N. J., William Chauncey Wetmore, commander in the United States navy, aged 49. Mr. Wetmore entered the naval service at the age of thirteen years, and took part, at that early period of his life, in much active service. He was in Com. Chauncey's flag ship, in his several engagements on Lake Ontario, and took an active part with the naval service at the battle of Little York, where Gen. Pike fell.

Jan. 13. — At Great Harrington, Mass, Gen. John Whiting, aged 75. Gen. W. was a native of the town where he lived and died, and where he was in active business as a lawyer for fifty-two years — having entered the profession at 21 — and having been for many years the oldest attorney in the county. He was for some time county attorney, and for a long period president of the bar of the county. During the time that he was in business, he was detained from attendance at the different courts in the county only two different terms — once by sickness and once by casualty.

May a—In Walpole, N. H., Dr. John Williams, late of Cambridge, in the 9Sth year of his age. Dr. Williams was born on the 20th of June, 174S, (old style.) During the war of the revolution, he was a practising physician at Hanover, N. H.; afterwards he removed to Barre, where he remained awhile in the same professional business. Thence he removed to Providence, R. I. He was for some time steward of the college in that place, and during part of the time engaged unsuccessfully in commerce. Afterwards he came to Cambridge, and opened an apothecary's shop in or about the year 1810, where he spent a large portion of his life, and was universally esteemed.

May 27. — At Bangor, Me., Hon. William D. Williamson, counsellor at law, aged 66. Judge Williamson commenced the practice of the law at Bangor in 1807. He was for several years in the senate of Massachusetts before and at the time of the separation of Maine from that state, and a senator in the first legislature of Maine at the organization of the new government. He was a member of the Congress of 1821-23, and was subsequently appointed judge of probate, in which office he continued until 1S40. In 1S32 he published a History of the State of Maine in two volumes octavo. Aug. 14.—In Cincinnati, O., Rec. Joshua L. Wilson, D. D., aged 72. He was born in Virginia about the year 1774. While he was still young, the family emigrated to the state of Kentucky, where he was brought up to the trade of a blacksmith, at which he worked for some time, in the infant settlements of that state; but possessing an inquisitive and vigorous mind, he found time and means for study, and at length became himself a teacher. His first pastoral labors were in Nelson or Shelby County, Kentucky, where he married Miss Singleton, who has survived him. Early in 1808, more than thirty-eight years ago. Dr. Wilson was called to the pastorship of the First (then the only) Presbyterian Church of Cincinnati, and immediately thereafter entered on his duties. With a constancy on the part of both pastor and people, rarely seen in the new and changeful communities of the West, the connection then formed was severed only by the hand of death. The house in which he began his ministerial labors for this society, was the first ever erected in Cincinnati for public worship.

May 28. — At St. Johnsbury, Vt., Ben. Leonard Worcester, brother of the late Dr. Samuel Worcester, of Salem, and Noah Worcester, of Brighton. He •was pastor of the Congregational church in Peacham, Vt., for nearly half a century, and was one of the most distinguished and excellent pastors of Jfew England.



Sept. 24.—An attempt at a revolution was made in the Roman States in Italy. The insurrection began at Rimini; and the insurgents, having taken the fort and liberated the prisoners therein confined, were forced to retire to the mountains, and soon afterwards were entirely dispersed.

Oct. — Great alarm was excited in Ireland and in some of the Continental States of Europe, by the prevalence of what is called the " potato disease," which threatened the almost total destruction of the potato crop, and caused serious apprehensions of a famine.

Oct. 4.—A fire broke out in Griffin Town, a suburb of Montreal, Canada, which destroyed nearly one hundred houses, and was arrested at last by blowing up several buildings with gunpowder.

Oct. 24. — England and France, having engaged by a public armed intervention to put a stop to the war between Buenos Ayrcs and Montevideo, declared a strict blockade of the port of Buenos Ayres.

Oct. 26. —Disturbances and civil war continue in Hayti. The Dominicans surprised the Haytian garrison at Laxaron, the chief frontier town on the cape side of the island, and after lulling 128 men, took the fort, which they soon afterwards evacuated.

Nov. 5. — The steamer Hibernia, on her passage from Boston to Liverpool, struck on Point Race, Newfoundland, and was so much injured that she was obliged to put in to St. John's for repairs.

Nov. 13. — A most disastrous fire occurred in Sag Harbor, N\ Y., extending to more than 100 houses, which were entirely consumed. The loss in building and merchandise was estimated at half a million of dollars.

Nov. — Two of the leading Whig statesmen in England, Lord John Russell and Lord Morpeth, in published letters, avowed a change of their opinion respecting the system of the British corn laws, and that they were now in favor of the importation of bread stuffs without any duty.

Nov. 20. — The combined English and French forces, which had been blockading Buenos Ayres, came to an action with the troops of Gen. Rosas, stationed in certain batteries on the river Parana, in which the latter were entirely defeated, with the loss of several hundred men.

Dec. — A revolution took place in Mexico, the army under Gen. Paredes revolting against the established government under Gen. Herrera, because It had not acted with sufficient vigor against the United States in the affair of Texas. The insurgents were completely successful without bloodshed, and a provisional government was established with Paredes as its head.

Dec. 1. — The 29th Congress assembled at Washington, an unusually large number of senators and representatives being present on the first day of the session. Vice President Dallas took the chair in the Senate; and John W. Davis, of Indiana, was chosen Speaker of the House.

Dec. 11. — The English ministry, under Sir Robert Peel, resigned their places in consequence, as was supposed, of a difference of opinion between the Duke of Wellington and the Premier in respect to the expediency of abolishing the corn laws. Lord John Russell received the Queen's commands to form a new ministry.

Dec. 15.— Considerable excitement was produced throughout the country by the introduction of certain resolves into the Senate of the United States, and a speech by their introducer, Mr. Cass, which seemed to portend a war with England respecting Oregon.

Dec. 22.—The 225th anniversary of the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth was celebrated by the Pilgrim Society at Plymouth by a public dinner, at which Judge C. H. Warren presided. Governor Everett, President Quincy, Mr. Choate, and about 500 other persons, were present.

Dec. 22.—The joint resolution for the admission of Texas as a State into the Union, which passed the House of Representatives in Congress by a large majority a few days before, passed the Senate also by a vote of 31 to 13.

Dec. 19. — The steamer Belle Zane, while about 500 miles above New Orleans, on her way down the Mississippi, struck a snag, filled, and almost instantly turned on her side. About 15 or 20 persons were drowned in her, and two or three others were frozen to death, as the accident occurred on one of the coldest nights ever known on the lower part of the river.

Dec. 20. — Lord John Russell, finding himself unable to form a Whig ministry of sufficient strength, retired, and Sir Robert Peel resumed office with most of his former colleagues.

Dee. 21. —A battle was fought in the Punjaub between the English forces and the Sikh army, numbering 30,000 men, which had crossed the Sutlej. The loss was great on both sides; but the Sikhs were defeated with the loss of 30 pieces of cannon, and the probable consequence is the annexation of a considerable part of the Sikh territory to British India.


Jan. 1. —The Legislative Assembly of the province of Yucatan declared itself independent of Mexico, on the ground that the central government had broken its faith, and the province was no longer bound to pay it allegiance.

Jan. 22. — The British Parliament was opened by the Queen in person, and allusion wns made in her speech to a contemplated great reduction of protective duties, and an ultimate repeal of the corn laws.

Jan. 12. — A distressing accident occurred at Carbondale, Pa., the roof of a part of the coal mines caving in and burying 50 or 60 persons, of whom about 15 were killed.

Feb. 2.—A duel was fought at Bladensburg between Thomas F. Jones and Dr. Daniel Johnson, both of Elizabeth City, N. C., on the ground of an alleged insult by the latter to the wife of the former. Dr. Johnson was shot dead at the first fire.

Feb. 9. — The resolutions for giving notice to Great Britain, that the conventions of 1818 and 1827 for the joint occupation of Oregon should be terminated at the expiration of twelve months from the time of giving the notice, passed the House of Representatives in Congress by a vote of 163 to 54.

Feb. 10. — The English forces in British India, under Sir H. Gongh, numbering 20,000 men, fought a great battle with the army of the Sikhs, estimated at 3fi,000. The latter were entirely defeated, and driven across the Sutlej, with the loss of 10,000 killed and wounded. The loss of the British was 2,383, including Mnj. Gen. Sir R. Dick.

Feb. 13. — The steamboat Saladin, passing down the Mississippi river, came in collision with the steamer Congress, by which accident the latter boat was destroyed, and 15 persons were drowned.

Feb. 15. — A severe snow-storm, attended by a violent gale of wind, prevailed all along the Atlantic coast of the United States. Several vessels bound into New York were wrecked on Squam Beach, among which was the packet ship John Minturn, from New Orleans, in -which 30 persons were drowned.

Feb. 23. — An extensive and well-organized insurrection broke out in the ancient kingdom of Poland. The insurgents, reported to be 40,000 strong, obtained possession of a great part of Gallicia, and marched on Cracow, where the Russians were making great preparations to meet them. The rebellion, in the course of a few days, was entirely put down.

Feb. 25.—A fatal duel was fought near Richmond, Ya., between John H. Plcasants, Esq. and Thomas Ritchie, Jr., two newspaper editors in that city. They were armed with swords and several pistols to each, and advanced on each other, firing several shots, and finally drawing swords. Mr. Pleasants received four pistol shots in his body, and one gash from a sword, and died of his wounds two days afterwards. Ritchie was slightly wounded.

Feb. 2S.—Thw great measure of Sir Robert Peel for reforming the corn laws and the general system of trade was sanctioned in the House of Commons by a majority of 97.

March 15.—A heavy fall of rain broke up the ice in the large rivers of the Northern States on the Atlantie, and the flood did much damage. The rise of the Merrimae, Hudson, and Susquchanna, was very great; bridges were carried away, rail roads on the banks were flooded or broken up, and travelling was much impeded.

March 30. — A great freshet on the Penobscot river did more damage at Bangor and its vicinity than had been caused by any rise of water on that stream during the present century. The bridges were carried away, a considerable part of the city was overflowed, and property was destroyed to the amount of half a million.

March 28.—The American army of occupation under Gen. Taylor, 3,500 strong, arrived at the Rio Grande, and took post opposite Matamoras without any serious opposition from the Mexicans.

April 4.—The Spanish ministry under Gen. Narvaez was dissolved, by the influence of Queen Christina as was supposed, and a new administration instituted under M. Isturitz.

April 16.—The Resolution authorizing the President, but leaving it to his discretion, to give notice to Great Britain for terminating the joint occupation of Oregon, passed the U. S. Senate by a vote of 40 to 14. The House of Representatives acceded to the language of the Resolution, as modified by the Senate, on the 23d, when the Resolution was finally passed by both Houses by a large majority.

April 16. — Louis Philippe, King of the French, when returning from Fontaineblean in a carriage with several members of the royal family, was shot at by a man from the side of the road. No one was hurt, though the ball cut the fringes of one of the curtains. The assassin was arrested; his name was said to be Lecompte.

April 24. — Hostilities took place between the Mexican and the American armies on the Rio Grande. The American commander, Col. Taylor, sent out a detachment of cavalry, consisting of 70 or SO men under Capt. Thornton, to observe a portion of the Mexican troops who had passed round into his rear. This detachment came unexpectedly into the presence of the Mexicans, were surrounded, fired upon, and were nil killed or taken prisoners.

April 30. — The Hon. Edward Everett was inaugurated at Cambridge with appropriate ceremonies as President of Harvard University. An oration was delivered by him before a large concourse of the alumni, who subsequently dined together, and attended an illumination of the college buildings in the evening.

May 2.—The British mail steamer Cambria, on her passage from Liverpool to Boston, in a thick fog, ran aground nt Truro on Cape Cod. After a detention of two days, she was got off without injury.

May 8, 9. — Gen. Taylor, on his way back from Point Isabel to the American camp opposite Metamoras, with about 2,000 American troops, was attacked by the Mexicans, who were about 5,000 in number. The Americans

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »