« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »
AN ACT further to regulate the payment of the
debt due the Commonwealth for the sale of vacant tands.
- APPROVED December 15, 1817. BE it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, That the act entitled “ an act further to regulate the payment of the debt due the commonwealth for the sale of vacant land," approved January the 11th 1816, shall be, and the same is hereby revived and continued in force, for and during the term of twelve months, from and after the 6th day of January 1818.
in ACT for the establishment and regulation of the Town of Somersville, in Green County.
APPROVED December 15, 1817. WHEREAS it is represented to the present Recital. general assembly, that John Emerson, some time ago, laid out a town on his land in Green county, on the road leading from Lexington to Nashville, and has sold some of the lots, and the purchasers have made considerable improvements on said lots; and it appearing to this general assembly that it would be of great public utility to establish said town ;
Ø 1. Be it therefore enacted by the General AsSomersville sembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, That established.
the said town, as laid out by said Emerson, containing about seventy-five acres, according to the plan of said town now on record in the clerk's office in Green county, be, and the same is hereby established, and shall be called and known by the name of SOMERSVILLE.
D 2. Be it further enacted, That the said town, Trustees ap
or so much as the said Emerson has not conveypointed. ed away, be, and the same is hereby vested in
William T. Willis, Dr. James Howe, and William Philpot, sen. gentlemen trustees of said town, and their successor's. The trustees appointed by this act shall meet at the house of said Philpot, in said town, on or before the first Monday in April next, and shall take the oath of office as trus
tees; which oath shall be administered by any Their powers justice. They, or a majority of them, shall have and duties.
power to for'ın a board; shall appoint a president, clerk and other officers necessary. The said trustees shall, within two months thereafter, record the present plan of said town in their book, as recorded in the county court of Green county.
5.3. Berit further enacted, that the said trusTo pass by. tees shall have full power and authority to pass laws, &c.
any by-laws or ordinances for the regulation and government of said town, not inconsistent with
the constitution and laws of this commonwealth. To levy and They shall have, the right to raise any sum not collect taxes. exceeding fifty dollars per annum, upon such pro
perty in said town as is subject to taxation by the revenue laws of this state, to be applied to the use and benefit of said town, in such manner as they shall think fit.
$ 4. Be it further enacted, That the said trusTo recover tees are hereby authorised to recover any sum fines for a not exceeding five dollars, for a breach of any of breach of by- their by-laws or ordinances; which shall be relaws.
covered by warrant in their name before any justice of the peace; which fines shall be applied
towards the use and benefit of said town. Times of
5. Be it further enacted, That the said trusmeeting tees shall, after next April, meet on the first Saturday in April, June, October and December in every year, and at such other times as they shall think proper; and after their first meeting, at such place as they may think proper. They Penalty for shall have the power of recovering from any failure to at
tend. trustee, for failing to attend at a regular meeting, without a good excuse, any sum not exceeding two dollars, to be recovered as other fines and applied in the same manner.
06. Be it further enacted, That the said trus- Times of holi tees shall remain in office till the first Saturday ing election in November next, on which day, and on the for trustees. same day in every year thereafter, the free male inhabitants of said town, and persons owning er possessing real property in said town, and such owners living and residing within one mile of said town, shall meet at such place in said town as the said trustees or their successors may direct, and elect three trustees for said town; which said trustees, so elected, shall continue in office antil the next general election, and until other trustees are duly elected and qualified.
07. Be it further enacted, That if any vacancy Vacancies, of the trustees appointed by this act shall happen, how to be filthe remaining trustees shall supply such vacancy
led. or vacancies, who shall remain in office until the next general election for trustees. The trustee or trustées so elected shall
possess the same power and authority as the trustees appointed by this act; and the same rule shall be observed by all future boards of trustees,
9 8. Be it further enueted, That the present Trustees to trustees or their successors are hereby authorised sell all lots to sell all lots unsold in said town, in such man- unsola. ner and upon such credit as said Emerson shall direct. If sold upon a credit, they shall take bond, payable to said Emerson, with good security; and said trustees shall not make conveyances of any lot, until the consideration is paid, unless so directed by said Emerson.
9. Be it further enacted, That the trustees Further pow. shall at all times make their clerk and other offi
ers of trus cers such compensation as they may think proper. No person shall be elected to the office of Qualifications trustee who does not reside in said town or with of trustees.
in one mile thereof, nor unless he owns real pro-
gio. Be it further enacted, That if an election Their contin- should not be held on the day appointed by this dance in of- act, the trustees appointed by this act shall confice.
tinue in office until the next general election.
11. Be it further enacted, That all general
elections for trustees shall be conducted by any Who to conduct elec
justice of the peace for Green county. The clerk tions, &c.
of the board of trustees shall, one month previous
12. Be it further enacted, That before the To publish trustees can recover any fine for a breach of their their by-laws. by-laws, they shall cause a copy of such laws to
be publicly advertised in said town at least three
An ACT to amend a law entitled - an act to incor.
APPROVED December 15, 1817,
to incorporate the trustees of the Allen semina-
02. Be it further enacted, That the money aris. Money ariş- ing from the sales of said lands belonging to said ing from sales seminary, may be applied by the trustees to the of seminary purchase of a lot of ground (which shall be held lands, how ap free from taxation) for the seat of said seminary;
in erecting suitable buildings thereon; in pro-
93. Be it further enacted, That the balance of --from sale of the money arising from the sale of lots in the lots in Scotts- town of Scottsville, after paying for the erecting be applied. of public buildings, shall be applied by the coun
ty court of Allen county to the use of said county.
An ACT for the benefit of the widow and heirs of
Thomas Clark, deceased.
APPROVED December 15, 1817. WHEREAS it is represented to the present general assembly, that Thomas Clark, late of Livingston county, died extremely poor, leaving a widow and several small children without any means of support, except fisty-five a res of head. right land, lying in the county of Livingston, who are unable to pay the wate price thereon : For remedy whereof,
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, That the state price now due and unpaid upon fifty-five acres of land, part of four hundred acres of land granted by the Livingston county court to Robert D. Hilhouse, number of certificate 870, now owned by the widow and children of eaid Clark, be, and the same is hereby remitted ; and the register of the landoffice is hereby directed to issue to the widow of said Thomas Clark a patent for said fifty-five acres of land, the same as if the balance of the state price due thereon were fully paid ; which patent shall vest in said widow a life estate in said land for the maintenance of herself and chil. dren, and at her death shall descend and vest in the children or other legal heirs of said Clark : Provideí, that the platt and certificate of survey shall be registered as in other cases.
An ACT further to regulate the town of Flem
APPROVED December 15, 1817. 01. BE it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, That the trustees in tecs. in rela
Power of trus and for the town of Flemingsburg, or their sục- tion to paving cessors in office, shall have full power and author. the streets. ity to order and direct, that so much of main