« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER, GUARDIAN, AND FREEHOLDER. In 2 Vols. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a very small but remarkably clear type, as much matter as the sixty volumes of Johnson's Poets. Complete in 4 Vols. Frontispieces. 14s.
CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 6d.
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 3s. 6d. CLASSIC TALES; comprising the Vicar of Wakefield, Elizabeth, Paul and Virginia, Gulliver's Travels, Sterne's Sentimental Journey, Sorrows of Werter, Theodosius and Constantia, Castle of Otranto, and Rasselas. 12mo. 7 Portraits. Ss. 6d. DEMOSTHENES. Translated by LELAND. Portrait. 3s. DICKSON AND MOWBRAY ON POULTRY, Edited by Mas. LOUDON, Illustrations by HARVEY, (including the Cochin-China Fowl). 53.
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically by the Rev. 35. 6d.
IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols. 11. 15s, or 33. 6d. per vol. JOYCE'S INTRODUCTION TO THE ARTS AND SCIENCES. 3s. 6d. LAMARTINE'S THREE MONTHS IN POWER. Sewed, 23.
LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES, with Biographical Sketch. Portrait. Cloth, 3s. 6d.
LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, ZOOLOGY, AND THE NATURAL HISTORY OF MAN. Plates, 5s. LILLY'S INTRODUCTION TO ASTROLOGY. A New and Improved Edition, by
ZADKIEL, with his Grammar of Astrology, and Tables of Nativities. 5s. LOUDON'S (MRS.) ENTERTAINING NATURALIST; a Description of more than Five Hundred Animals, with Indexes of Scientific and Popular Names. With upwards of 500 Woodcuts, by BEWICK, HARVEY, &c. 73. Cd.
LOWTH'S LECTURES ON THE SACRED POETRY OF THE HEBREWS. 3s. 6d.
NORWAY, A Road Book for Tourists in Norway, with Ilints to English Sportsmen and
PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY, incorporating the CATECHISM. New
Edition, with Woodcuts, revised, 3s. 6d.
SHAKSPEARE'S PLAYS AND POEMS, by CHALMERS, in 1 Vol., 3s. 6d.
This work contains as much as eight ordinary octavos. It was first published in another shape by Mr. Charles Knight, under the title of Political Dictionary, at 1 16s. The Compiler, MR. GEORGE LONG, is one of the most competent Scholars of the day.
UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, with Introductory Remarks by the REV. J. SHERMAN, (printed in a large clear type, with head-lines of Contents). 2s. 6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT, and a beautiful Frontispiece by HINCHLIFF. Ss. 6d.
THE WIDE. WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Volume, with Frontispiece, gilt edges, 3s. 6d.
The same. Illustrated with 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, richly bound in cloth, gilt edges. 5s.
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., excepting those marked otherwise.
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDTS COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS. 7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, wi.h coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT, with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Experiments, with upwards of 270 Illustrations.
11. DR. G. A. MANTELL'S PETRIFACTIONS AND THEIR TEACHINGS; A Hand-Book to the Fossils in the British Museum. Beautiful Wood Engravings. 65. 12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged Edition, with nearly 400 Illustrations.
13, 19, & 28. HUMBOLDT'S PERSONAL NARRATIVE OF HIS TRAVELS IN AMERICA. With General Index.
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir. 16 OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES.
KIRBY on the History, Habits, and External KIDD On the Adaptation of Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Illustrations. 21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES.
Nature to the Physical Condition of Man. Ss. 6d. 22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES.
considered with reference to Natural Theology. Bridgewater. 35. 6d. 23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. IENFREY, FR S., &c. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of Externa 24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last Corrections, and Biographical Sketch by the REV. DR. CUMMING.
25. BACON'S NOVUM ORGANUM AND ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING. Complete, with Notes, by J. DEVEY, M.A.
WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics,
26 & 27. HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular introduction to the Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous highly-finished Engravings on Wood and Steel, 2 Vols.
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the Cours de Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF
WIGHT. New Edition, by T. RUPERT JONES. Woodcuts and Map.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. Third Edition, revised and enlarged.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC. Translated from the German by
35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages). 36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Dutch, Flemish, and German Painters.
37. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. PROUT on Chemistry, Meterology, and the
40. BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES, REVISED AND ENLARGED; compre-
42 & 47. MANTELL'S WONDERS OF GEOLOGY; or, a Familiar Exposition of Geological Phenomena. Seventh Edition, revised and augmented by T. RUPERT JONES, F.G.S. Complete in 2 vols. Coloured Geological Map of England, plates, and upwards of 200 beautiful wood-cuts. 2 vols. Post 8vo., cloth, 7s. 6d. each. 43 & 46. CARPENTER'S ZOOLOGY; revised and completed to the present time, (under arrangement with the Author), by W. S. DALLAS, F.L.S. In 2 vols., (nearly 600 pages each), 6s. each. With many hundred Wood Engravings. CARPENTER'S MECHANICAL PHILOSOPHY, ASTRONOMY & HOROLOGY. With 181 Illustrations. 45 & 53. INDEX OF DATES, comprehending the principal Facts m the Chronology and History of the World, from the earliest to the present time. By J. W. KOSSE. two parts, forming one very thick volume, 1s; or half morocco, 12s. 6d. 48 & 49. MANTELL'S MEDALS OF CREATION; or, First Lessons in Geology and in the Study of Organic Remains. 2 thick vols. Second edition, extensively revised, with several hundred wood-cuts of Fossil Remains. The 2 vols. 15s. 60. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS. Vol. V. Terrestrial Phenomena, Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Springs, &c. 5s.
51. CARPENTER'S VEGETABLE PHYSIOLOGY AND SYSTEMATIC BOTANY. New edition, carefully revised. 217 Wood Engravings. 68. 52. DE JUSSIEU'S ELEMENTS OF BOTANY. By J. H. WILSON. 750 wood cuts
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, at 58. per volume.
1 to 8. LODGE'S PORTRAITS OF ILLUSTRIOUS PERSONAGES OF GREAT BRITAIN. 8 Vols post 8vo. 240 Portraits.
9. CRUIKSHANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, with 50 Illustrations. 0. PICKERING'S RACES OF MAN, with numerous ortraits (or Coloured 7s. 6d.) 11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 24 Maps, (
Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
12. WHITE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF SELBORNE, with Notes by SIR WM JARDINE and others, edited, with large additions, by E. JESSE, Esq. With 40 highly-finished Wood Engravings (Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
13. DIDRON'S CHRISTIAN ICONOGRAPHY. With 150 Engravings. Vol. I. 14. REDDING ON WINES. New and Revised Edition, with 20 beautiful Woodcuts. 15 & 16. ALLEN'S BATTLES OF THE BRITISH NAVY. New Edition. Enlarged by the Author. Numerous fixe Portraits on Steel. 2 Vols.
17 & 18. ROME IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY. Fifth Edition, in 2 Vols., with 34 fine Steel Engracings, and Index.
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES, with Engravings on Steel.
20. LIFE OF WELLINGTON, by "AN OLD SOLDIER," compiled from the materials of Maxwell; with an Account of the Funeral, 18 highly-finished steel Engrarings. 21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE, with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including SWEET's Warblers.
New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 78. Gd.)
23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE's Journal, with large Additions and a Road Book. Edited by THOS. FORESTER, Esq. With 22 Illustrations, beautifully Engraced on Steel by Lucas.
... The Road Book is sold separately, price 28.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account of Ava and the Burmese, siam and Assam. Illustrated by 100 Wood Engravings. 25. PICTORIAL HAND-BOOK OF LONDON, comprising its Antiquities, Architec
ture, Institutions, and Exhibitions. 205 Engravings and large Map. 26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE
Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
SEASONS. Third Edition,
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A.
carefully revised. Portrait, and 34 Illustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN. 28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS. Fifth Edition, revised by W. C. L. MARTIN,
Esq. Complete in 2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 additional Plates of
30. TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Verse, by J. H.
WIFFEN. 4th Edition. 24 Engravings on Wood, and 8 on Steel.
31. INDIA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, from the Earliest
Times to the Present. Map and upwards of 100 Engravings on Wood.
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS. Portraits of Loyola, Lainez, Xavier,
Borgia, Acquaviva, Pere la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and HARVEY, 12 beautiful Engravings on Steel, and 74 on Wood.
34. WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting, Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Tenth Edition, revised, with numerous Plates. 35. MILLER'S HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON TURNER. Portrait of Alfred, Map, and 12 Engravings on Steel after Harvey. 36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE QUINCY. With 13 highly-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with Notes, practical and historical. Edited by ED. JESSE and HENRY G. BOHN. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood, price 5s.; or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d. 38. MARRYAT'S MASTERMAN READY; with 93 Engravings on Wood. 39. TALES OF THE GENII. With numerous Wood cuts and 12 Steel Engravings. 40. GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF POTTERY AND PORCELAIN; comprising the BERNAL CATALOGUE, with the Auction Prices and Names of the present Possessors; an Introductory Essay, and an Engraved List of all the known Marks and Monograms. By H. G. BORN. Numerous Wood Engravings.
41. THE LIFE OF ALEXANDER POPE, including many of his Letters. By ROBERT CARRUTHERS. Revised and considerably enlarged; numerous Wood Engravings. 42. POPE'S HOMER'S ILIAD. Illustrated by the entire Series of Flaxman's Designs, beautifully engraved by Moses (in the full 8vo. size). With Introduction and Notes, by the Rev. J. S. WATSON, M.A.
43. BONOMI'S NINEVEH AND ITS PALACES. New Edition, including an Account
of the Assyrian Sculptures recently added to the British Museum. 300 Engravings. 44. POPE'S HOMER'S ODYSSEY. With the Battle of Frogs and Mice, Hymns, &c., by other Translators, including CHAPMAN. With the entire Series of Flaxman's Designs (in the full 8vo. size). Edited by the Rev. J. S. WATSON, M.A. 45 & 50. POPE'S POETICAL WORKS, edited by ROBERT CARRUTHERS New Edition, revised. With numerous Engravings on Wood. In 2 volumes. 46. STUART AND REVETTS ATHENS and other MONUMENTS OF GREECE. O
71 Plates and numerous Woodcut Capitals. To which is added a Glossary. 47. LINDSAY'S (LORD) LETTERS ON EGYPT AND THE HOLY LAND. Fifth
Edition, with additions, and 36 Wood Engravings and Maps.
48 & 52. ARIOSTO'S ORLANDO FURIOSO, in English Verse by W. S. ROSE. C
With Portrait and 12 fine Engravings on steel. Complete in 2 vols.
49. KRUMMACHER'S PARABLES, translated from the seventh German Edition.
With 40 Illustrations by CLAYTON, engraved by DALZIEL.
51. LEIGH HUNTS BOOK FOR A CORNER, with 80 extremely beautiful Wood Engravings, and a Frontispiece engraved on Steel.
53. HOLBEIN'S DANCE OF DEATH, AND BIBLE CUTS; upwards of 150 subjects beautifully engraved on wood in facsimile. With Descriptions by FRANCIS DOUCE, F.S.A., and THOMAS FROGNALL DIBDIN. 2 vols. in 1. 7s. 6d.
54. JESSE'S ANECDOTES OF DOGS. New edition, with large additions, and numerous Woodcuts after Harvey. 5s-Or, with the addition of 34 highly finished steel Engravings after Cooper, Landseer, &c., 7s. 6d.
55. STARLING'S (MISS) NOBLE DEEDS OF WOMAN. Third Edition, with 14 beautiful illustrations on steel.
CONTAINING THE FIRST BOOK OF
A TREATISE ON CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE,
COMPILED FROM THE HOLY SCRIPTURES ALONE.
TRANSLATED FROM THE ORIGINAL
CHARLES R. SUMNER, D.D.
LORD BISHOP OF WINCHESTER.
A New Edition, Revised and Corrected.
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.