Page images

bear it with patience and resignation becoming a christian.

A few days before his death, being weak in body, but his mind clear and composed, he was visited by some of his near connexions. After expressing his satisfaction in seeing them, he imparted much tender counsel to them; signifying the comfort it afforded him in believing that they had been preserved in the fear of the Lord; and in a very affectionate manner he earnestly recommended them to keep to the simplicity of their religious profession, in their dress and deportment: thus evincing the solicitude of a father for their present and everlasting welfare.

It was his primary concern to know Christ formed in him: and having, through Divine favour, attained to a good degree of this precious experience, religious doctrine was no longer speculation with him, but holy certainty. Hence, he was restrained from indulging in controversy on doctrinal subjects, which often genders strife and contention; and, through the redeeming power of the Lord, his mind in the hour of death was preserved in sweet tranquillity; having washed his "robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Thus, he passed away in a quiet state of mind, on the morning of the 12th day of the 12th -month, 1834, in the sixty-eighth year of his age.His funeral, which took place the next day after his decease, was largely attended; and, among the numbers that were present were many people of colour, who, in this righteous man, lost a valuable, sympathizing friend and benefactor.

There is a mixture of sorrow and joy in the remembrance of this truly estimable man. refer to his warm-hearted friendship and hospitality,

When we

and reflect that he is gone to that bourne from whence no traveller returns, and that we can no more take sweet counsel together as in days that are past,-the mind is filled with sorrow and mourning. But again, when we consider that our loss is his eternal gain,that he is now out of the reach of pain and sorrow, and is safely landed on that shore where “ the wicked cease from troubling, and the weary are at rest,there is cause for rejoicing.

“Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace.”,

Of joys terrestrial, small the fountain,

Which in earthly minds is found;
Press forward, then, to Zion's mountain,

Where celestial joys abound.
Be this the object still before thee,

And here let all thy wishes tend;
Rich heavenly treasure 't will ensure thee,

And lasting glory crown thy end.
So will life's journey be rewarded

With a more than earthly prize,
Thy name forever stand recorded

With all the truly good and wise,
Who thro' life's scene of tribulation

Safely having made their way,
Thro’ winter's storm and night's dark season,

To the realms of endless day.
Let then those footsteps of his children

Be the way-marks of his child,
And may his arm of preservation

Be thy everlasting shield.




It has at times been on my mind to leave some memorandums for the information of my children, that they may see the wonderful dealings of the Lord with me, a poor creature. I was born in Philadelphia 6th of the 10th mo. 1758. My parents, Thomas and Martha Brookes, had a right of membership in the society of Friends; but I believe were not very zealous professors, though of honest reputation. My father died when I was about nine years old; and I lived with my mother until about the age of twelve: she was too indulgent, and I was too regardless of her entreaties; so that it became necessary for me to leave her, and I was put to a trade. In the time of my apprenticeship the revolution commenced, and I with several of my acquaintance, left our masters and enlisted in the American service. In the second year of my enlistment, I was promoted to a lieutenant's commission; and in one year after, I resigned it and went to live with my aunt Mary Hart; still continuing my dissipated life, although at times my soul was afflicted with inward reproofs for transgression. Many days and nights I spent in revelling, dancing and drinking. Oh Lord, forgive this gross and sinful disobedience to thy Divine will.

In some biographical notes of the life of Edward Brookes made by his son, it is stated, that in the time of the American revolution, a law was made providing that when apprentices entered the American army as soldiers, their masters should have no redress for the lost time. The

in which Edward Brookes enlisted, was marched against the Indians, who fled before them, sometimes shooting and then hiding behind the trees; so they had but few battles; but burned the Indian towns, destroyed their corn, cut down their orchards, and killed all they could. Edward Brookes appeared to dislike to talk upon the subject of his soldier life, so that little could be gained of him respecting it, save only that it was a condition of suffering and wretchedness, and that it was some satisfaction to him that he could say, he did not know that he ever killed a man.


Vol. XII.-29

After leaving the army, he returned to his mother: but she being a poor widow, he was under the necessity of seeking another home, and went to his aunt's who lived not far from East Caln meetinghouse. In his twenty-sixth year he was married to Margaret Chalfant, a poor girl who was brought up in a Friend's family, but who is described as a valuable young woman, and made him an excellent wife. This marriage Edward Brookes considered a blessing to him; and it had a tendency to change his course of life. He soon after moved to Wilmington, and stayed there about six months: then returned to Caln, where he bought a small place at the foot of the great valley hill on the old Lancaster road.

In 1785 he removed to Philadelphia, to work at his trade as a journeyman carpenter. Now an exercise came on him in relation to leaving his master, and, by enlisting as a soldier, defrauding him of near two years of his apprenticeship. Although the law let him go clear, he felt that there was another law in his own mind that did not clear him. So he went to his master and told him he was willing to try to satisfy him for his lost time. They soon agreed to leave the matter to six men, and it was settled what he should allow his master. So he told him he would work for him till the debt was paid; but he should need part of his earnings to support his little family. Many years after, when he had a house of his own and every thing that was neces


about him, he observed that while paying that debt to his master, altho' a poor journeyman, they were among the happiest days of his life.

Getting through that difficulty, after some time he commenced undertaking jobs himself, and soon became a master workman with journeymen and apprentices of his own. In three or four years after he had paid off his master, he took a lot in Cable lane at the south corner of Pfifer's alley, where he built a house for himself, and continued building upon that corner till he put up two three story houses and one of two stories. Here he was living in a plain, comfortable way, when his wife made application to Friends to become a member, and was received. Edward had lost his right in the society by going into the army; but seeing, when at his work, the Friends going to meeting on week-days, he felt a wish to be with them. At length he made application to Friends and was restored to membership again. In 1793, nearly all his family were affected with the yellow fever, and his wife Margaret died, aged nearly thirty-one years. The next year he sold his property in Philadelphia, and removed to East Caln; and in 1795, he was married to Margaret Garretson, a widow.

Edward Brookes appears to have supported the character of an industrious, upright, honest man; and after being in the country some time a change was observed in his conduct, manifesting greater religious

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »