Page images

party. His administration was distinguised by his veto of the Maine Liquor Law bill, which had passed both houses of the Legislature, and which action on the part of the Governor was regarded at the time as a bold stroke of policy. But it was not fated that the Democratic party should longer remain in power. In 1854, four candidates for gubernatorial honors appeared in the field -Horatio Seymour, regular Democrat; G. C. Bronson, hard shell Democrat; Myron H. Clark, Republican, and D. Ullman, KnowNothing. The split in the Democratic party resulted in its defent by a remarkably small majority. Nearly half a million votes were cast, of which Mr. Clark and Mr. Seymour received the highest, the former being elected by 309 majority.

After this defeat, Mr. Seymour returned to private life, nor was his name mentioned again in connection with public offices until 1856, when he was spoken of as one of the possible candidates of the Democracy for the Presidency. The movement, however, came to nothing. He still took an active part in politics, so far as a vigorous support of all Democratic candidates was concerned. When the rebellion broke out, Mr. Seymour took an active part in furthering its suppression, and served as chairman of the War Committee in his county, aiding in forwarding troops to the seat of war. In 1862, he was once more nominated by ihe Democrats for the office of Governor, and was elected by a majority of over ten thousand. During his administration he had quite an angry controversy with the general government on the subject of the draft, he claiming that the quota of troops from the southern portion of the State, which gives immense Democratic majorities, was larger in proportion to the voting population, than that of the northern or republican sections. The matter was finally settled by a revision of the draft list. In 1863, the draft riots broke out in New York city, and Mr. Seymour immediately left Albany for that place. Arriving there, he addressed the rioters, urging them to disperse and go home quietly, and promising to do all that he could to stay the execution of the law. At the same time he organized a force of citizens, which he armed and kept on duty, until the arrival of troops from Pennsylvania restored order. In 1864, he was for the fifth time nominated for the office of Governor, and was defeated by Mr. Fenton by a majority of over eight thousand.

Since the close of the war Mr. Seymour has taken an active part in politics, although he has never been a candidate. In personal appearance he is quite dignified, and is said to be a very sociable and hospitable gentleman. . As a public speaker he is fluent, eloquent, and argumentative, and wherever he takes the stump he is always received by large crowds. Until a late day of the Convention he positively asserted that he would not accept the nomination of the Democracy for the Presidency, but it is natural to suppose that he will now reconsider this resolution after the unanimous vote by which he was nominated.


This gentleman, the Democratic nominee for the Vice-Presidency, is a native of Lexington, Ky., where he was born, in 1821. He received an excellent education at Princeton College, N. J., and, after graduation, returned to his home at St. Louis, Mo., where he soon became actively engaged in politics. He was the political associate of Thomas Benton, and was the first man in Missouri to denounce the institution of slavery in his State. Being elected to the State Legislature, he soon became distinguished for his opposition to all measures tending to benefit slavery, and did much toward revolutionizing public sentiment in St. Louis, where he resided. In 1856, he was elected to Congress as a Republican, and was reëlected by increased majorities in 1858 and 1860. Throughout these years he never ceased his efforts against slavery, and the Kansas Territory difficulty found him an earnest advocate of free-soil doctrines. At : the commencement of the Rebellion of 1861, he was among the first to organize troops for the defense of St. Louis and Missouri; and, in conjunction with Captain, afterward General Lyon, raised the forces known as the Missouri Home-Guards, one of the most important Union organizations at that eventful period of civil disturbances in that State. He was made commander of the First Regiment, and assisted in the capture of Camp Jackson, St. Louis, on May 10, 1861, which capture was among the first of the severe blows struck at the Rebellion after the fall of Fort Sumter, inasmuch as it was certainly the first important one. Colonel Blair also took part in the battle of Boonville, under General Lyon, on June 17, 1861, during which contest he commanded his regiment. It was at this point that the rebels, under General Price and Governor Jackson, met with their first decided defeat in Missouri. His regiment took a very active part in the battle of Wilson's Creek, where General Lyon was slain, on August 10, 1861, but, in consequence of his having to occupy his seat in the special session of Congress, Colonel Blair was not present during that action.

During the sessions of Congress in 1861-2, Colonel Blair was Chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs, and, as such, did good service to the country. Upon the close of the session he returned to Missouri, and commenced the organization of a regiment of artillery, and afterward, at the request of the Secretary of War, he raised a brigade of infantry, of which he was placed in command, and commissioned a brigadier-general in August, 1862. The brigade became attached to the Fourth Division of the Thirteenth

[graphic][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

Army Corps, but, subsequently, upon a reconstruction of General Grant's forces, was assigned to the Fifteenth Corps, then com. manded by General W. T. Sherman. While under the command of that brilliant officer, General Blair bad charge of the First Brigade, of General Steele's division, at the attack upon the defenses in the rear of Vicksburg, on the 29th of December, 1862. During the assaults upon the works, General Blair greatly distinguished himself for his bravery, being the last to leave the heights, although the main army had been severely repulsed. General Blair commanded his brigade in General Sherman's wing of McClernand's army during the assault upon and capture of Fort Hindman, on the Arkansas River, on the 10th and 11th of January, 1863. For the gallantry he displayed at these last-mentioned contests he was promoted to be a major-general of volunteers, with a commission dating from November 29, 1862. During the month of April, 1863, Major-General Blair was placed in command of a division of Sherman's corps, formerly commanded by General David Stuart, who, in consequence of his appointment not having been confirmed by the Senate, had resigned the service. At the head of this division, he took part in all the operations in the vicinity of Vicksburg and in the siege, and further established his character for bravery.

During the remainder of the war General Blair took an active and conspicuous part in nearly all the great battles of the West. His division gained distinction in the attack on and capture of Jackson, Miss., and, on the 2d of October, 1863, General Sherman appointed him to the command of the corps formerly commanded by himself. In his new capacity he again exhibited many high traits of generalship, and, from the advance of the army from the Mississippi to the terrible battles of Missionary Ridge, his corps participated with distinguished valor, and won for its commander considerable reputation. In the early part of 1864, being desirous of taking his seat in Congress, to which he had been elected in 1862, General Blair presented his resignation to Mr. Lincoln, at the request of that gentleman, who urged him to be present and aid in the organization of the House. During the month of March following, he reëntered the service, and was placed in command of the Seventeenth Army Corps. Until the war ended he remained in the field, serving under General Sherman in the celebrated campaign to Atlanta and the sea, and winning fresh laurels as a military leader.

On the 11th of July, 1865, he bade farewell to his corps at Louisville and retired to private life.

As soon as the war was over and General Blair perceived that the people of the South were honestly disposed to abide the result of the conflict in good faith, he urged a liberal and generous treatment of the ex-rebels. At first he continued his connection with the republican party, and endeavored to change its course in his State to a policy of conservatism. The Legislature of Missouri had passed a law disfranchising all who participated in or gave aid and

« ՆախորդըՇարունակել »